Mecum Auctions’ 12th annual Houston, Texas, collector car auction wrapped on April 15, spanning three days and filling the NRG Center with more than 1,000 vehicles for sale. At the end of the event, 77% of the lots on offer changed hands, with overall total sales reaching $37m.
The 2023 auction featured several private collection offerings and was highlighted by the Horton Museum Collection of more than 100 museum-displayed collector cars. The assemblage saw 105 vehicles hammer sold for a total exceeding $9m. Several cars from the collection became top sellers, with strong individual sale prices a common theme among the diverse group. The collection’s 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S131) became the high seller in Houston at $324,500, and seven other slots in the top 10 sellers list were also claimed by Horton Museum offerings — all seven of which were iconic American classics ranging from muscle cars to Mopars, Corvettes and ‘50s favorites.
The Bill Barker Estate Collection was another well-received assemblage in Houston, and all 26 of the vehicles in the offering hammered sold for an aggregate of more than $1.32m. The high sale of the group went to a 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 (Lot S56.1) that sold for $112,750. Frank Tsuru’s nine-car collection also sold in its entirety, bringing $793,650 overall, led by a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S164) that brought $140,250 and a 1960 Porsche 356 Roadster (Lot S165) that sold for $115,500.
The complete top 10 collector car sales at Mecum Houston 2023 include:
1. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S131) at $324,500
2. 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop (Lot S185) at $275,000
3. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Split Window Coupe (Lot F205) at $258,500
4. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 (Lot F234) at $242,000
5. 1966 Shelby GT350 Fastback (Lot S153.1) at $220,000
6. 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Pro Touring (Lot F100.1) at $214,500
7. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot F206) at $203,500
8. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S143) at $198,000
9. 1958 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (Lot S151) at $192,500
10.1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster (Lot F191) at $187,000